Welcome to another week, friends!
My weekend included a good balance of work and relaxation and enjoying the gorgeous weather we’re continuing to have! The only downside is I came down with a nasty cold over the weekend (due to my inability to slow down), leaving me sniffling and watching the clock for the next time I can take some DayQuil.
I should’ve known I was maybe a little feverish when I was at the grocery store on Friday, embarrassing myself at the seafood counter. There to pick up some salmon that was on sale, I commented on the fresh salmon that was arranged into a “W”. I was wracking my brain, trying to figure out what it may mean, totally not thinking that I live in Wisconsin, in the same city as the University of Wisconsin, or the fact that the UW Men’s Basketball team was playing in the championships that day. What’d I come up with? “Wild Caught” for wild caught salmon (because everybody would come to that conclusion, too, right?). I quietly took my salmon and walked away…
In my defense, the salmon were wild caught.
Anyway, moving on… Since spring weather has been staying around for awhile, it has me in the mood for some light and refreshing meals that are loaded with fresh vegetables.
This Spicy Pineapple Stir Fry is just that. It’s light, not heavy like some sauce-ladened stir fries can be. It’s fresh, with the lime juice and pineapple chunks along with the peppers, carrots, onion, and snow peas. And it has a touch of heat that compliments the sweetness from the pineapple perfectly. Plus, the vegetables stay slightly crisp, giving this stir fry a great texture.
What’s unique about this stir fry is the choice of grain. While most stir fries use rice, I opted for whole grain spaghetti. You can choose whatever type of pasta you like, but definitely try out the whole grain options. With the fresh sauce coating the noodles, you can’t even tell that it’s a whole grain. With all the veggies in the stir fry, it’s easy to keep the amount of pasta you use low, too. Load up on those veggies!
Give this stir fry a try — it’ll add a little spice to your meal and a pep to your step.
Spicy Pineapple Chicken Stir Fry
- 12 oz whole grain spaghetti or fettuccine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks or julienned
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 cups seeded and thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups peeled and cubed pineapple
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup peeled and cubed pineapple
- 3 Tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta until it is al dente or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil on medium-high. Add chicken and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Keep skillet on medium-high and add remaining 1 1/2 tsp olive oil. Add carrots, snap peas, bell pepper, and onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small food processor or blender, combine all sauce ingredients. Process on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- To skillet, add 2 cups pineapple, sauce, and pasta. Cook until sauce thickens and mixture is heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.