Hello again, everyone! Last week we had a busy (and very fun!) time with the whole family in town visiting us. My brother and his family arrived the day before the 4th of July, my parents drove into town the day after the 4th, and the fun continued well into the week. I couldn’t have asked for a better mini-vacation with family! I mean, how can you resist these faces?!
I don’t know how we fit in so much fun, but somehow we managed. :)
We splashed in the water at the local splash pad…
Danced to music (one of my niece’s many talents)…
Celebrated my nephew’s first birthday (!)…
Visited places of work…
Worked in the kitchen with my little chef-in-training (we made these energy bites)…
Had fun outside…
Had more fun outside…
And enjoyed a night out on the town kid-free. :)
Gosh, Madison is beautiful.
Whew! And that’s just a glimpse.
Everybody headed their separate ways on Thursday morning and we’re now a kid-free house again. Only the sidewalk chalk shows any sign of children being here.
After an eventful week, Philip and I were ready to take it easy this past weekend. And I was ready for a quick and easy meal. This Spinach Salad with Steak and Blueberries was just perfect!
After coming home from work on Saturday, dinner was ready within a half hour of walking in the door. He had his steak and she had her light and refreshing salad.
This salad has flavor combinations that are top notch. It’s like a salad you’d get from a restaurant, only better.
With blueberries in season right now, they burst in your mouth with flavor. Fresh blueberries are blended into the actual dressing, giving it a refreshing taste that you can’t get from a bottled up dressing. I was literally licking the dressing off my spoon it was that good.
To round out the salad, the tangy flavor from the feta (I think bleu cheese could be phenomenal, too!), the crunch and nutty flavor of the walnuts, and the tender grilled steak all lend to a salad that delights your taste buds (they did mine at least!).
With so much color, you just know this salad is brimming with healthy nutrients, too. But healthiness aside, this salad is just plain and simple delicious. If you want to impress, serve up a plate of this salad for family and friends. It’s definitely going to be a summer favorite!
Spinach Salad with Steak and Blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 Tablespoons raspberry infused balsamic vinegar (or any fruity vinegar)
- 1 minced shallot, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pulse 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup walnuts, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the minced shallot, sugar and salt in a food processor to form a chunky paste. With the motor running, slowly add the oil until incorporated. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl (or to a small dish if you want the dressing on the side).
- Season steak with pepper and a pinch of salt, if desired. Oil the grill rack. Grill the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 6 minutes per side for medium. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Divide the spinach among 4 plates. Thinly slice the steak crosswise. Top the spinach with the steak, feta, and the remaining blueberries, walnuts and shallot. If not coating the spinach with dressing, drizzle the dressing on top of the salad.
Adapted from: Eating Well
Psst! Did you notice the improved pictures?! I’m moving up from my iPhone and received my belated birthday gift from Philip a couple weeks ago — a DSLR camera! I can’t wait to keep improving my blog…be on the look out for more to come!