Christmas is almost here, folks! After all the anticipation and preparation for the holiday, we are down to the final days. Is your shopping done, lists completed, and gifts wrapped? Ha. Don’t worry, we still have days…plural. (re: we’ve still got time!)
In all seriousness, with all the hustle and bustle, sometimes it’s best to slow down, put aside our to-do lists, and remember to be joyful and content with what we do have. Even though I’m still working the majority of this week, I’m already excited for our young tradition of going together to a Christmas Eve service on Thursday evening followed by sushi at a restaurant in downtown Madison. With bellies full, Philip and I come back home to sit by the fire, sip on hot chocolate, and exchange thoughtful gifts to one another. Out of all the hubbub of the season, this quiet time together is possibly what I look forward to the most.
In keeping with the theme of simplicity and not to add another recipe that will add to your baking or cooking list, I have a simple salad that I know you’re going to love — both for the flavor and ease of making it. Whether you decide to add it to your holiday dinner table this year or opt for having it after the big meals are over when you’re looking for something a little healthier, Pear and Pomegranate Spinach Salad with Pistachios has got you covered.
It’s seasonal and perfect all winter long with the pomegranate, pears, and pistachios adding pops of color to the salad. You may think it looks quite similar what I posted last week, because, well you’re right. :) As soon as I had the pear and pomegranate combo in the Holiday Pear-Pomegranate Salsa, I knew I wanted to make it into a salad.
The crunch of the pomegranate arils and pistachios are a perfect match with the creamy cheese and the sweet pears. I used diced chicken breast in this salad, but it’d be perfect with any meat that you have leftover from the holidays, such as turkey or steak. Drizzle a light vinaigrette on top and you have yourself a healthy and festive salad.
Whether your to-do list gets done or not, this salad will be one you can count on being a hit. Wherever you are this holiday season and whoever you’re with, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas celebrating this joyous time of year! Merry Christmas!
Pear & Pomegranate Spinach Salad with Pistachios
- Spinach or mixed greens
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 of a ripe pear, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon dried cherries or cranberries
- 2 – 3 ounces chopped or shredded cooked chicken or turkey breast
- 1 ounce of shredded mild, soft cheese like Gouda or Gruyere (Blue cheese or feta would be delicious, too)
- 1 ounce chopped pistachios
- Vinaigrette of choice (or use vinaigrette recipe below)
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Toss together the salad greens, arils, pear, cherries, chicken or turkey, cheese, and pistachios in a bowl. Drizzle with desired vinaigrette.
- To prepare balsamic vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, vinegars, garlic, mustard, and lemon juice in a mason jar. Secure lid tightly and shake to mix. Recipe makes 1/2 cup. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.