Does anybody else feel like we were just celebrating Memorial Day weekend and now it’s almost the 4th of July?! How did this happen? Growing up, I loved looking forward to the 4th of July, knowing it was another summer holiday. But then after the 4th, “Back-to-School” items started flooding into the stores again and I had that dreaded sense that summer was going to quickly end.
That’s not necessarily the case anymore, but I still hate to see the summer go by so quickly. Thankfully, we have a lot more fun things planned for the summer! One of those things was this past weekend when I completed my first triathlon of the summer. It was a calm day, albeit hot, so it was the perfect morning to go for a swim, bike around the hilly Wisconsin countryside (and when I say hilly, I mean hilly!), and run a few loops around the town close to where we live.
I ran this same race two summers ago, so I knew a little bit more of what to expect this time and felt more prepared going into it…although I had somehow forgotten just how hilly that bike course was. ;)
After the triathlon, it was a lazy day around here, including naps and getting the grill out for another meal on the grill. I wasn’t kidding when I told you we’ve been grilling non-stop around these parts! We had one of our favorite meals last night, Beef Fajitas, but another one that has quickly become our favorite is Grilled Chicken with Blueberry-Lime Salsa, which I’m sharing with you today!
We had this meal a couple weeks ago for the first time and as soon as Philip took the first bite, he immediately called this one “a keeper.” I couldn’t agree more.
Not only is this another super simple meal to put together, but it is so flavorful. For having such few ingredients, this recipe is not lacking in the flavor department.
The blueberries right now are full of flavor and just pop with sweetness, which compliment the tartness of the lime and the heat of the jalapeño. All the components of the salsa come together to give a super fresh and summer-feel to the meal. This blueberry-lime salsa would be great to have with a mild fish instead of chicken or even on it’s own with tortilla chips. Take it to a party or potluck and it’ll be an instant favorite.
If you’re short on time because you’re trying to squeeze in as much summer fun as you can like I am, this recipe is a life saver and the one for you to try for supper tonight. It’s too easy, fast, healthy, and flavorful not to make it!
Grilled Chicken with Blueberry-Lime Salsa
- 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts, pounded to a consistent size
- 1 cup blueberries, coarsely chopped if large
- 1/2 of a jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Zest the lime and reserve the fruit for later. Combine the zest, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place chicken in a shallow dish and spoon the mixture on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken until the meat is no longer pink and has been cooked through or when an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, 8 to 12 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a serving plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice ends off the reserved lime. With a sharp knife, remove the white pith and discard. Cut the segments from their surrounding membranes and coarsely chop. Combine in a small mixing bowl with blueberries, jalapeño pepper, shallot, cilantro and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, stirring gently. Serve with the chicken and a side of rice that is seasoned with lime and cilantro.
Adapted from: Eating Well
Hi Kara. You had a cookie receipe in there but not the sugar one. I don’t know What it is but don’t know how to send to you. Grandma
Sent from my iPad
Sorry you couldn’t find the cookie recipe you were looking for! I’ll send you an email with some links to some recipes on my blog that you may be thinking of. Hopefully we can find it for you!
Comments are closed.