Is it just me, or is this aaaamazing weather we’ve been having putting everyone in a better mood? I’m finally feeling like spring really is here and may just be staying around for a while now. It felt great to open up the windows and actually get some fresh air in the house. About time! Also, I think our neighbor’s kids were stationed on their trampoline in their backyard all day on Sunday. I’m not kidding, it was a really long time!
This fresh new season has me wanting fresh food! Orange-Sesame Salmon with Quinoa is that, plus it couldn’t be easier or faster to put together. I also love that it’s a recipe for a full meal — main and sides are all included. Even the vegetable is cooked right along side the salmon. I do a pretty good job of planning out meals each week for Philip and me, but to be honest, the sides are usually an afterthought for me. I love that this recipe is an all-in-one. :)
Let’s talk about salmon for a second, shall we? First, check out that color! Personally, salmon just looks pretty to me. Maybe that’s the foodie in me, but I also love knowing that the color also shows off how rich in nutrients it is (particularly omega-3 fats). Woohoo, pretty and healthy!
So, we know that salmon is pretty great for us. And if you live in the Madison area, I have a shameless plug for my friends’ salmon co-op that they run, Kwee-Jack Fish Company. Right now through the end of May you can order a 20-lb share of the salmon that they fish during the summer in Alaska. Pretty cool, huh?! There are a few reasons why I’m excited to get my share in September: 1) I’ll have a freezer full of salmon! 2) I can finally make these poké bowls with the sushi grade salmon 3) I can trust the source and…I’ll have a freezer full of salmon! I’ve had the chance to eat their salmon before and it is top notch, you guys. Plus, it’ll give us lots of opportunity to keep eating this Orange-Sesame Salmon with Quinoa. What’s not to love right? :)
Whether you have a freezer stocked with salmon or not, this is is an all-in-one meal that you and your taste buds are going to get excited about.
Orange-Sesame Salmon with Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup orange juice plus ⅓ cup, divided
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 4-ounce portions salmon (1 lb total)
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions, substituting ½ cup orange juice for ½ cup water. Remove from heat and stir in scallions. Cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. (If roasting a vegetable, such as broccoli, to go along with the meal, toss vegetable with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast for about 10 minutes before going to next step).
- While vegetables roast or while quinoa cooks, combine 2 teaspoons sesame oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on to the tops of the salmon. Place on the baking sheet (push vegetables to the side if roasting any) Bake until the salmon is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining ⅓ cup orange juice, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High for 1 minute. Divide the quinoa and salmon among 4 plates. Drizzle with salmon and quinoa with the sauce.
Adapted from: Eating Well